I started this blog to keep my church, friends and family updated on my year volunteering in Katrina recovery with the Presbyterian Church (USA). I've now signed on for a second year working in disaster recovery and another year living in Mississippi. It's getting good....

Wednesday, November 29, 2006

Homecoming (11/29/06)

Ah, the fun of a week back home...Fallen leaves, my favorite church peeps, cold rain, my munchkins, my sister, my whole huge extended family, cherry sheets, white wine in bulk, unlimited WiFi, familiar roads, familiar traffic, good friends, late nights, Karen and Taylor's wedding, Yuengling, wedding shoes (notice that I did not say wedding shoe blisters), winter clothes, Breakfast with Liz, Breakfast with Lindsey, a Redskins victory, Redskins fans, Sunday Night Ladies Night, turkey, mashed potatoes, and SWEET POTATOES!

It was so fantastic that I almost didn't get back on the plane for my return flight. To all of you with whom I had the pleasure of spending time this past week- thank you! You inspire and encourage me all the time! I love you and miss you so much. Please know that I would never give all of you up just to hang in Mississippi for a year. I really believe that God called me down here to help this community and the Presbytery.

So I am back to Mississippi and back to work. This week I have the pleasure of telling many of the 98 backlogged homeowners on my wait list that we don't have the volunteers to fix their homes this month, so they will need to either wait or contact another agency for assistance. That's the stink part of the job. But this morning, I was able to call several homeowners and tell them that we have stoves and microwaves for their homes. Another family needed beds, which we did not have, but I was able to get them air mattresses and pillows. I'll take my blessings wherever and whenever I can get them!

Tony and Claire, a retired couple volunteering with us for a few months, cooked dinner for the group last night. I had been in a funk all day, just sad about leaving home, and they were able to put the first smile of the day on my face. I am so grateful for them and folks like them who give me such hope. Their generosity, humor, and love warm my heart and drag me out of the the muck most days. See--there must be a plan. There must be a plan. There must be a plan.

That will be my mantra this week. Trust in Him. Love these people. Be patient.

There must be a plan.

2 comments:

St. Casserole said...

Welcome back!
Great mantra for all of us.

Kathy said...

Whatever you are doing, do it as if you are working for the Lord, becaue you are.

I am grateful for volunteers such as you.

Kathy Smith

Praise God!