I started this blog to keep my church, friends and family updated on my year volunteering in Katrina recovery with the Presbyterian Church (USA). I've now signed on for a second year working in disaster recovery and another year living in Mississippi. It's getting good....

Tuesday, November 07, 2006

Lots of Mom, Little Money

I'm writing tonight from a very cold tent in Orange Grove PDA camp 3. We're watching election returns on a TV with cable and using unlimited WiFi to access detailed results. In a tent! At a camp without flush toilets. Ah, technology.

The political excitement is only enhanced by the presence and enthusiasm of my mom. Mom is here visiting, on a work trip with Gaithersburg Presbyterian Church (www.gpchurch.org - check their blog online!). I can't put into words how good it feels to have my mom in town. After all of the transition, work, and drama of the past few weeks, it is so comforting to have someone here who really understands me, no questions asked. And, of course, it's been refreshing to get out of Handsboro each evening for dinner. Especially since we have lost Internet access at the church and are struggling to get back online.

Fortunately, there is plenty of work to be done. I've been out on the road this week, visiting house after broken house. It is difficult to explain how many people there are here still in need. And the piece that no one wants to hear is that it really is just a money issue at this point. We have the labor. We have volunteers coming out of our ears. We don't have the money to buy the materials we need to supply the volunteers with singles, sheetrock, insulation, cabinets, toilets, etc to put the homes and lives back together again. And it is the same story with every agency working on the coast- lots of volunteers, not enough supplies. My bosses have taken off out of the office this week to find some peace in order to complete reports and grant proposals to secure more funding. And really, the long-term answers are still such a mystery. But as I am reminded each and every day on the coast, if we lift these mysteries to God, He will find a way. It isn't for me to plan, but for Him to provide.

Just another test of faith....because I haven't enjoyed enough of those yet....

And please, please don't read this as a fundraising letter. It's simply my observation and frustration at the moment, expressed to you openly and honestly. I have been so unbelievably blessed with financial, emotional and spiritual support from church, family and friends. You all are making this year possible for me and I am grateful to each of you every day. Thank you, thank you, thank you for all that you do to support me and through me the people on the Gulf Coast.

On a high note- in the hour it has taken me to draft this blog (due to the shaking of my fingers in this cold, cold tent....no, really because I've been trying to get some work done too) the Dems seem to be taking over the House and they have definitely won back control of Maryland. Hurray for faith and hope. We'll see how the rest of it shakes out in the morning.

Good night and God bless.
All my love,
Erin

1 comment:

Linda said...

"Max! More shells!"

E, so glad to meet your mom this week! it's good to know where all your fun personality stuff comes from!
love, L