I started this blog to keep my church, friends and family updated on my year volunteering in Katrina recovery with the Presbyterian Church (USA). I've now signed on for a second year working in disaster recovery and another year living in Mississippi. It's getting good....

Tuesday, September 25, 2007

This is what people are living through, two years after the storm.

Click here to read the article.

For reasons of confidentiality, I cannot tell you the shocking details of the stories of folks down here who are dealing with contanimated FEMA trailers, but let me say this-

Two years after the storm, more than 17,000 households in Mississippi alone are still living in FEMA travel trailers and mobile homes. These trailers are making people sick. Hopsital sick. Families are taking extreme measures just to survive. Two years later. People are living in tents on their property. 82 year-olds are taking out mortgages. 72 year olds are rebuilding their own homes with mis-matched cabinets and doors found at scrap yards. Volunteer teams and funding sources continue to dwindle.

There's an agency down here called Drop In The Bucket. I think they have the right idea. But some days, I see only the bucket and not the drops.

No comments: