I started this blog to keep my church, friends and family updated on my year volunteering in Katrina recovery with the Presbyterian Church (USA). I've now signed on for a second year working in disaster recovery and another year living in Mississippi. It's getting good....

Tuesday, October 02, 2007

Today's Frustration

I went home this past weekend for the MS Challenge Walk, an annual event in the DC area where about 400 folks get together to walk 50 miles over 3 days to raise money and awareness in the fight against Multiple Sclerosis. It was another amazing weekend of fun, family, blisters, bananas and hope! (photos to come)

I returned last night to disaster recovery's ever present chaos. For weeks we've been working to develop a partnership with another local agency who just happened to disappear into thin air while I was out of town. Some jobs we had lined up with homeowners fell through because of mortgage foreclosure and lack of payment to the electric company and city water offices. We have volunteers in town and no work prepared for them to do. And still there are homeowners in need all over the place.

I continue to be AMAZED by the lack of organization, structure, stability in this "disaster zone". It's been two years and still the whole plan can fall apart over a long weekend and there is nothing we can do to prevent it. It just doesn't make sense. And it does.

AAARRRRGGGG.

1 comment:

Linda said...

i'm so sorry. I'll continue in prayer over your work...and for all those still recovering... love you!