I started this blog to keep my church, friends and family updated on my year volunteering in Katrina recovery with the Presbyterian Church (USA). I've now signed on for a second year working in disaster recovery and another year living in Mississippi. It's getting good....

Sunday, September 16, 2007

Tonight I struck up a conversation with a random man at a random bar on 6th St in Austin:

Austin Man: Pot a squat. (said while pointing at an open seat next to him)
Me: Ha, ha. (sit down anyway)
AM: Sure is nice out.
Me: Yup.
===random awkward banter about the weather in Austin ===
Me: What are the winters like here?
AM: Well, yew ever have chicken soup?
Me: Yes.
AM: Yew ever have bad chicken soup?
Me: Actually, no.
AM: It's like the chicken jest walked through it.
Me: I don't understand.
AM: Yer used to winter being cold?
Me: Yes.
AM: Folks are used to chicken soup that tastes like chicken. Austin winters are like if a chicken wore galoshes and walked through the soup. Doesn't really taste like chicken soup then. Ain't really winter here.
Me: Oh.

2 comments:

Linda said...

where was i when this happened????

Brenna said...

I might try and pass that off as some sort of dense theology.