I started this blog to keep my church, friends and family updated on my year volunteering in Katrina recovery with the Presbyterian Church (USA). I've now signed on for a second year working in disaster recovery and another year living in Mississippi. It's getting good....

Wednesday, March 14, 2007

Three things I figured out today:

1. It is officially spring in Mississippi. I know this not because of the beautiful 72 degree weather, not because of the early morning birds chirping outside of my double-wide, but actually because of the fact that I can no longer pass by a pick-up truck on the road that doesn’t have a shirtless man driving it. Seriously, what is up with the shirtless pick-up drivers? And ladies, we ain’t talking Abercrombie models here. No, I mean, fried-shrimp-loving, Marlboro-Reds-smoking, gun-rack-having, honey-please-shave-my-back, Mississippi men.
(side note: I really am enjoying the weather, though)


2. Wednesdays are becoming a bit much for me. It’s my office day. It’s a chance for me to catch up on paperwork, phone calls and really just to be a presence in the office. But it is also when I get slammed with phone intakes, walk-in visitors and volunteer requests….so many that I don’t ever get to actually do the work I need to get done. I get frustrated with that and then the fact that I am frustrated frustrates me. But today I was distracted from my frustration by two men in need who just happened to walk in the doors of our building. Each at a different time, but both desperate. I think that we were able to provide some help for these men and that always makes me feel like there is a reason God called me to this place, to this church to work this year. I was meant to work with these men. I was meant to pray for these men. I was meant to hope for these men.

3. LOST is going to be freaking GOOD next week!

No comments: