I started this blog to keep my church, friends and family updated on my year volunteering in Katrina recovery with the Presbyterian Church (USA). I've now signed on for a second year working in disaster recovery and another year living in Mississippi. It's getting good....

Sunday, March 04, 2007

All in a week's work

My week- the short version:

Church.
Laundry.
Church.
Oscar Party.
Visit homeowners. Try to find them help.
Go to meetings. Try to make sense of funding application process.
Go to the office. Try to make sense of agency miscommunication.
Go home. Try to understand why ants are attacking the dishwasher.
Go to bible study. Try to understand God's word and how we interpret it.
Try to go to sleep, instead, spend fun time chit-chatting with housemates.
Visit homeowners. Try to find them help.
Obtain funding applications. Try to write grant requests.
Pick up housemate from the airport, glad he's back.
Back to office. Try not to get frustrated with doing-good-but-getting-in-the-way volunteer.
Go to dinner and Lenten lecture series at little church. Try not to cry when I realize how full little church is that night.
Go to prayer meeting. Try to connect with the folks God's put in my life this week. Pray for my little church back in Maryland. Pray for homeowners. Pray for that doing-good-but-getting-in-the-way volunteer. Pray for patience.
Watch LOST with friends. Try to figure out what's going to happen next!
Visit with homeowners. Try to understand what they are feeling.
Receive yummie and fun package from my home church. Try to remember to write them a thank you note.
Try to go visit homeowners. Forced to turn around because the freaking President is in town and so we've got to shut down main access road on the Gulf Coast.
Try not to get angry at President.
Remember that President is only here looking and isn't actually doing anything to help.
Try not to get angry at President.
Angry at President.
Try not to drive off the road.
Visit homeowners. Remember why I'm here.
Hear the twister warning come over the radio. See no twister.
Talk to mom on the phone. Try to explain that I'm not a twister victim.
Read.
Sleep.
Go to office. Try not to quit job.
Go on a homevisit. Remember why God called me to this job. Remember that I love working with homeowners.
Go on another homevisit. Pray with homeowners. Laugh. Cry. Love.
Go back to office. Try not to let the man get me down. Man got me down. Run out of office. Try not to cry. Cry.
Check mail. People Magazine is in the mail. Jump for joy. Call sister to tell her that the magazine subscription she ordered me a year ago has finally arrived. Read magazine.
Go to Chuck E. Cheese with housemate's afterschool program. Try to understand why anyone would choose to work at Chuck E. Cheese. Eat Pizza. Try to understand how Chuck E. Chesse is allowed to call that pizza.
Home. Prank on housemates. Movie. Sleep.
Sleep in!
Read.
Eat Mac-and-Cheese and try to finish the crossword puzzle.
Visit friend in Louisiana. Enjoy good conversation and good food.
Blog.
Pray.
Bed.

It was a good week!

No comments: