I started this blog to keep my church, friends and family updated on my year volunteering in Katrina recovery with the Presbyterian Church (USA). I've now signed on for a second year working in disaster recovery and another year living in Mississippi. It's getting good....

Tuesday, January 09, 2007

It's Tuesday, right?

So things have been nutty lately and I'm not totally sure what day it is. It's been forever since I've been able to get some online time- I don't sound frustrated with that at all, do I? Well, I should because I am. But I am trying to keep positive, so let's focus on the good, shall we?

A quick update:

It's beautiful here today! The sun is bright as I sit at PJ's cafe in Gulfport dropping a line out in cyperspace for y'all to read. My roommates are all back in town from the holidays. A volunteer work team from Linda's church was here last week doing clean up work and hanging out with us. We went into New Orleans with them this weekend and had a few precious moments with some of our fellow GCMers down there. I realized how much I am missing the rest of our GCM group. We're all doing similar work and dealing with a lot of the same challenges, fun, drama, excitement, and we never get to talk about it because we don't see each other often enough. So we're working on organizing a get together. It's so hard to coordinate, though, because we all have such different work schedules.

I've been really busy with home visits lately, trying to work with homeowners to get them ready for our conrtuction teams to come in and help out. I love working with the people, I just wish I could offer more help. But I am working on getting over that.

The Castlemans (pastor and family) are back in town and have moved into the manse. It is too fun having them right next door! I love it.

I'm attending a training for case managers working in disaster recovery this week. That's all I have to say about that.

So I realize now, that this doesn't sound like a positive post. The details of my life here often aren't very positive. But I am loving it. It is hard work and the drama is real and neverending. But I am learning about people and God's love for us every day.

I am so lucky to be here right now.

No comments: