I started this blog to keep my church, friends and family updated on my year volunteering in Katrina recovery with the Presbyterian Church (USA). I've now signed on for a second year working in disaster recovery and another year living in Mississippi. It's getting good....

Thursday, October 05, 2006

Much work to be done..... (10/4/06)


So, I spent today organizing to start my real job. Hurray! I am going to be working for the presbytery doing casework and follow-up with folks who we've already assisted with structural repair. But, before I can tackle that task, I first agreed to meet with the 200+ families we've taken work requests from but haven't been able to assist yet. Today I organized the files of work orders taken as far back as May, that have not been looked at since they were first written. Yikes. What touched me about all this- these people are all still waiting for help! What's holding us back- we need work teams to come and do the work! So, if you are willing and able, consider coming down to help. Organize a work team of friends, family, church-goers, co-workers, whatever. We have teams as small as two and as large as 60. Bring what you've got! We'll find work for you to do. And spread the word- there is still A LOT of work to be done down here! For more info or to register a team, email Linda directly at presbyrecovery@bellsouth.net or just contact me and I will send you info.

Okay, after I got over all of that- I went to an Episcopal Healing service at lunch, a Presbyterian Covered Dish Dinner and Prayer Meeting in the evening, and managed to eek out some time to watch the LOST premier. We closed this evening with a house meeting and some prayer time. For those who are so inclined, I would ask that you keep my housemates in your prayers. We're all working on finding the best ways to use our talents to help the Gulf Coast communities rebuild, without missing our families and churches at home too terribly much.

That said- I still miss you all like crazy! Don't forget to update me on what's going on in your world!
Love,
Erin

No comments: