I started this blog to keep my church, friends and family updated on my year volunteering in Katrina recovery with the Presbyterian Church (USA). I've now signed on for a second year working in disaster recovery and another year living in Mississippi. It's getting good....

Monday, October 16, 2006

Long, long week (10/16)

Things have been busy! I had a confusing week of trying to do casework with folks down here without knowing anything about the Presbytery's vision of casework- not knowing if there was money to spend, which types of assistance they want to provide, etc. Then I met with the leadership on Friday and learned that they don't really have a vision, so joy of joys, I will get to create the program from scratch! It is exciting and terrifying all at the same time and I am loving it. When I get nervous I just remember that God has a plan for me here and for this program to help this community. So I am back to resource and information gathering in an effort to learn about what is being done in the community and where we still have holes that maybe our new program can help fill in.

This weekend we held a fair to kick-off the after-school program that a few of my housemates are creating. We had a balloon pop, a cake walk, cotton candy, a pie toss contest, face-painting and the all-important bounce house fun! Some church folks and some neighborhood folks came by to play for a few hours and I ate a bunch of yummy fair food- all good stuff in my book. We also made time this weekend to stop by the Gautier Mullet Festival. Now, my roommates and I thought we were going to an 80s hair-style celebration, but quickly discovered that the mullet is a fish down here. It was a wild- fish throwing, music rocking good time. And yes, they did have a hair cut contest- because even fishin' folks recognize the hilarity of the mullet haircut. I still can't believe I forgot my camera!

No comments: