I started this blog to keep my church, friends and family updated on my year volunteering in Katrina recovery with the Presbyterian Church (USA). I've now signed on for a second year working in disaster recovery and another year living in Mississippi. It's getting good....

Wednesday, January 30, 2008

Gettin' it done.

I love lists. I love making lists and I especially enjoy checking things off the list! In my job I make a lot of lists but rarely get to check things off. Something always comes up that needs to be dealt with immediately while the rest of the day's list has to wait. Most of the projects I work on are long and on-going and never really have a check-point-ending. It frustrates the list checker in me to no end. Lately, I haven't been good about checking things off my personal/spiritual checklists either. So this week, I decided to step up my check marks- personal, spiritual, and professional!

On Sunday, church was awesome! I worshiped at New Life, where normally we only have about 5-10 folks in attendance. This week we had several visitors and a volunteer group show up. Those pews were packed! It was pretty great to sit among that gathering after all the quiet weeks of late. Then my bud Kerry stuck around to finish the deck building project started a bit ago outside my trailer. I was extremely helpful in that process. I forced him to teach me everything about it because I am still determined to pick up as much construction knowledge as possible while I am down here. Can you believe it was my first time using a power-nailer-thing? Oh darn, what is it called? And it only took three air compressors to get the job done. We ended up eating a late lunch sitting on my new deck with my dog. I'm really a trailer girl now!

My work week started on Monday with meetings and home visits galore. I've got some help for the next I-don't-know-how-long in the form of one of our long-term volunteers, Kaitlyn. Right now we're doing a lot of training and chatting and I am thrilled about it. On Monday Kaitlyn joined me for the meetings and home visits. That night I picked up a few pals and went to an 80s roller skating party hosted by a new friend who works for another recovery agency on the Coast. I'm still nursing a blister on my ankle and a sore tummy from all the laughing!

Tuesday brought the arrival of some PDA big-wigs and do-gooders for some planning and brainstorming. Now, I realize that I am running the risk of returning to my old Pollyanna ways, but I was encouraged and energized by the meeting. I was just there to listen, but they were thoughtful and asked good questions and wanted suggestions from ground staff. The crew stayed for dinner in the Village where we all ate with the volunteers who are in town this week from Missouri (which I always pronounce as Misery because my sister who lived there taught me that, but I don't do that now because these folks brought good food with them so now that state is cool with me).

Today I made arrangements to get my car into the shop next week for repairs from the accident I had right before Christmas. Then there were more long term recovery meetings and lots and lots of phone calls. Some of those phone calls worked out some details of jobs we've been stuck on for a while! I followed that up with some play time with Eddie, The Wonder Dog (that's what I am calling him now that he's figured out how to play soccer AND carry two tennis balls in his mouth at the same time), and dinner and a great movie with a great pal. (Have you seen Juno? I loved it!)

Tomorrow Kaitlyn and I have a full day of home visits followed by an attempt at a Mardi Gras parade (weather permitting). Friday I'll be working paperwork and phones at one of our Villages and then cleaning my trailer like a mad-woman to prepare for the arrival of my best buds for a visit this weekend!

So I still haven't made a dent in the 6 half-read books beside my bed, or found funding for all the homes on which we're working, or done my laundry, or cultivated world peace, but I did get a few things done this week and that'll due for now!

No comments: