I started this blog to keep my church, friends and family updated on my year volunteering in Katrina recovery with the Presbyterian Church (USA). I've now signed on for a second year working in disaster recovery and another year living in Mississippi. It's getting good....

Tuesday, December 12, 2006

Case of the Mundays


Yesterday began with our weekly staff meeting. I know it is good to check in on a Monday morning, but I'm just not at my best first thing Monday. The folks at Initech would call it a case of the Mundays. (See Office Space photo above for an example of how to treat a case of the Mundays.)

For me, the meeting was followed by a few hours of phone calls I had to make to homeowners to let them know that we won't be able to work on their homes for a few months. We don't have too many volunteer teams coming down to work during December, naturally- they want to spend time with their families. But it means that families on the Gulf don't get back in their homes. I thought it was better to call and tell them that we're running behind, rather than have them waiting and hoping that some how we'd come through and then being disappointed when we never show up. Hence the horrible, awkward phone calls. I hope you'll join me in praying for all of the families who are still unable to celebrate this Christmas in their own homes.

After lunch several of my favorite (no, I don't really have favorites, okay, yes I do) homeowners came in all at once to pick up some Christmas gifts. It was wonderful for them to be able to shop in our garage, but it was even more wonderful (in my opinion, which clearly is the only one that matters here) for me to get to see them shop! They were all so happy to have bright, new toys to take home and wrap for their kids. These three women would not have been able to afford Christmas gifts this year without our garage full of toys (all donated by a church in Oxford, MS). To see the joy in their eyes, it changed my day. I hope you'll join me in praying for the needy children on the Gulf Coast this holiday season.

Later last night, we shared dinner at Orange Grove PDA Volunteer Village to say goodbye to a dear friend. One of our fellow volunteers has decided to leave the program and return home for the remainder of the year. While we'll miss him dearly, I know that this is the best decision for D; for his health and happiness. I hope you'll join me in praying for Big D as he embarks on a new journey.

May peace and love find you all today!
-E

1 comment:

bigD said...

Thanks Erin! That was kind of you so say. I want to say that I didn't exactly "decide" to leave. I merely accepted the fact that I was told I had to leave. Although I'm torn up inside by having to leave and missing you all terribly, I also think it is for the best. For me, it means that when I come back to the Gulf Coast I will be able to do a better job. I'm not gone for good. I will be back.