I started this blog to keep my church, friends and family updated on my year volunteering in Katrina recovery with the Presbyterian Church (USA). I've now signed on for a second year working in disaster recovery and another year living in Mississippi. It's getting good....

Friday, December 22, 2006

Blown Away!

Have I mentioned that I am a proud member of the most fantastic church around!?

Today I arrived back in Gulfport (I spent the night at a PDA volunteer village in Houma, LA) and was greeted by several stuffed envelopes and packages. My roommates put the big packages under the tree for us to open Christmas morning, but I opened the cards immediately.

Last week we had a toy drive and ran out of toys. I mentioned this to my sister and asked if she had any ideas of how to help. She did more than come up with an idea- she stood up at work and stood up at church and asked folks to give to the needy families of the Gulf Coast this Christmas. My little church in Dickeyville, MD and a few of Rainey's co-workers responded by sending me more than $700 to buy gifts, food, and other necessities for some of the families I've been working with down here.

I can't tell you how touched I am by this outpouring of love and generosity: my sister's actions, the church's support, and mostly by the very kind notes and cards that housed these donations. I am just blown away! Thank you! Bless you! I love you!

No comments: